To Challenge myself artistically, I decided to commit to doing 25 workshops or books by other artists that do not involve doll making. It pulls me out of my comfort zone ( doll making, book construction etc) into some very different art forms and techniques. So here is number one.
My first Workshop was called ” Mixed Media Girls” By Suzi Blu.
When I first bought this book, I had no idea who Suzi Blu was, I just love faces. But I soon found out that this girl is quite a character and fun fun fun to learn from. Her you tube videos are simply hysterical and she is quite talented and gifted as a teacher. What did I get out of this workshop?
1. It was fun. I learned to enjoy the process of the art and not harp on the end result.
2. I gained confidence. I felt ready to tackle whatever artsy thing came up next.
3. I learned a lot about composition and color and the process of intermingling several mediums.
4. I was introduced to folk art dolls and their world.
5. I learned about symmetry in drawing and shading faces.
Overall, I had a ball with it. I even bought a Suzi Blu Print for my art room. And Although she is rated pg13-rated R in some cases, I love her art and her idea of how it heals the world.
She does online art classes as well. Check her out at http://suziblu.typepad.com/