The Reinvention of Me Eva Dyck
I haven’t known Eva Long, but she has a bubbly personality and her positive attitude and loving spirit takes over. You meet her- you love her. This installment of the January guest blogger is written by her, who by the way, is an English major, working mom, and an adventurer to boot.
“focus on the little things, because ultimately, those will be the big things.”
With every New Year come all of the insane resolutions that people make- dramatic weight loss, work out strategies, the list goes on. I thought a lot about the reinvention of me, and what I would try to do to make this happen. My mantra has always been “it’s the little things.” That being said, I decided this year I wouldn’t try to do something outrageous that would only last a few weeks. Since I am always all about the little things, I figured this would be a good way to reinvent myself- focus on the little things, because ultimately, those will be the big things. I think it’s awesome when people can make these huge life-changing resolutions and stick to them. Kudos to those of you who manage that! I’ve been brainstorming some little things I can work on to reinvent myself this year. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far-
1. Stop procrastinating- just do it! Stop putting things off, especially the little unimportant details.
2. Don’t let minor things stress me out so much- sit back at look at the big picture. Is it really that big of a deal?
3. Do some form of exercise daily- 10 pushups, mile run, sit ups, anything!
4. Try to volunteer once a month.
5. Choose to be happy more often.
6. Read a book for pleasure once a month.
7. Express gratitude- to my parents who let me live at home with my son; to my bosses who are amazing and work around my school; to all the wonderful people I have in my life.
8. Put away money into savings- small amounts here and there (it’ll add up before I know it.)
9. Eat more fruits and veggies- I love fruits and veggies, I just don’t eat them as often as I should, thanks to my hectic schedule.
10. Treat myself once every once in a while to pedicure or manicure- gotta take care of myself in order to take care of anyone else!
This will be my last full semester of school. I want to enjoy it while staying sane at the same time. I tend to get extremely stressed during school, so hopefully this list will help with that while reinventing myself at the same time. Here’s to a New Year, and a new me!
Follow my blog, “This Brown-Eyed Girl,” at thisbrown-eyedgirl.blogspot.com